The Beaver Creek School, 9702 Beaver Creek Church Road, Hagerstown, Maryland
is an historic two-room schoolhouse
dating to 1904. The school was in operation until 1961 at which time
ownership of the schoolhouse was passed on to the Washington County
Historical Society with plans of turning it into a museum.
Today, visitors to the museum will find a recreation of a typical
old-fashioned schoolroom as well as various other displays featuring
late 19th and early 20th century items reflecting elements of life in
Highlights of the museum include a workshop with a large number of tools;
a cobblers station with tools and wooden foot-forms; a beautiful sleigh and
several wooden children's sleds; exhibits of vintage toys and dolls; several
military uniform items; women's clothing and hats; several musical instruments,
including an 1840's hand-crank organ and a 1911 Edison record player; a large
stove manufactured in Hagerstown; and a recreation of an early 1900's parlor.
On September 23, 2000, the Beachley Pavilion at the Beaver Creek School
Museum was dedicated. The pavilion is named to honor the late Miss Catherine
Beachley and her sister-in-law, Mrs. Louise Beachley. They were instrumental
in obtaining the Beaver Creek School for the WCHS from the county commissioners
and turning it into the school museum as we know it today. Mrs. Beachley donated
most of the items in the museum room, including many from her family, the Funks.
Admission - $8 for adults, $5 for Senior Citizens (60+) and Students Under 16, Members and partners are free. Flat fee youth/group tours is negotiable.
Tours available April through November, by appointment only. Admission charged. Group rates arranged.