We are pleased to announce that the Miller House Museum will be offering Saturday hours during the summer months of 2015.
Starting on May 23rd with the International Geocaching Convention, the Miller House Museum will be open for tours Saturdays from 9 am – 4 pm. Upon completion of the Jamieson Genealogical Library renovations, the research library will be offering the same extended hours. Please join us one weekend for a tour and see what is new at the Miller House!
We are also looking for new volunteers at the Washington County Historical Society. Current projects include working in the library to fulfill patron requests and assist the Registrar with everyday maintenance, assisting the curator with exhibit preparation and collections cataloging, and giving tours as a docent for the Miller House Museum. Any time that can be given would be greatly appreciated, and there is no minimum weekly time requirement. This is an excellent opportunity for students to fulfill service learning hours and gain valuable internship experience, or for adults to give back to the community. Any interested parties can call 301-797-8782 or email email@example.com for more information.
The Miller House was built in two sections on the site of an earlier
structure consisting of a home and pottery business.
Peter Bell, Jr., a local potter, most famous for being
the father of John Bell, the renown Waynesboro area
potter, lost the property through public sale. Two of his other sons,
Samuel and Solomon, were also prominent potters from Strausberg, Virginia.
The first section of the Federal Style
townhouse was built in 1825 by William Price, an attorney
and grandfather of Emily Post of etiquette fame. When
his first wife died in 1844, Price sold the property to fellow attorney,
Alexander Neill, II, and moved to Cumberland.
Both Alexander Neill III, and Alexander
Neill IV, were born and raised in the house with all
their siblings The Neills sold the house to Dr. Victor D. Miller, Jr.,
one of three physician sons of a Civil War surgeon from the settlement
known as Mason Dixon, on the Maryland-Pennsylvania state line, in 1911.
Dr. Miller built the last small section on to the east side of the house,
which became a suite of doctors’ offices, including his own. When
Mrs. Miller passed away in 1965, their sons, Victor
D. Miller III and Col. Henry Miller donated their share of the property
to the Washington County Historical Society, which houses its offices
and library in the basement. A beautiful garden and carriage house sit
at the back of the structure.
April through December, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 1 to 4 p.m.
Saturdays 9am to 4pm (summer months only)
y appointment; Fridays, 1 to 4 p.m., walk-ins welcome.
(Closed Holidays) Admission charged. Group rates arranged.
Closed: January - March
Opens: First Wednesday in April
Admission: $8 for adults, $5 for Senior Citizens (60+) and Students Under 16, Members and partners are free. Flat fee youth/group tours is negotiable.
To enquire about tours email firstname.lastname@example.org